UPDATE (My only son has colon cancer)
On September 2, 2026, Nader returned to work at Mandaluyong
City Medical Center (MCMC). Three months earlier, he had returned to work, but
MCMC sent him home to rest more. Nader was eager to return to work. He was
losing strength and gaining weight from inactivity.
During the first 3 days back at work, the entire hospital staff and personnel trooped to the Emergency Room to welcome him, touch him, and pinch his face, if only to make sure he wasn't an illusion.
He is cancer-free, Alhamdulillah!
A few weeks after my son’s chemotherapy, I received a call from my eldest daughter, Norayda, from California, USA.
“Dad, I have terminal cancer.” The tears she had been
holding back suddenly burst. I was stunned, speechless, and shocked. How would
a parent respond to that? When she first complained to me about a swelling over
her right neck and then the left, I said maybe it’s parotitis. It didn’t go
away for several weeks. She went to see her doctor, who scheduled her for a biopsy
of her swollen lymph nodes. It’s stage IV-B squamous cell carcinoma.
We were back to the same heightened emotional state we had several months earlier when my son was diagnosed with colon cancer.
When she first arrived in the USA, as if she had a premonition of what was to come, she bought the most expensive medical insurance the agents offered. Luckily, she is undergoing a 3-week, 6-cycle treatment that costs $70K (2.4 million pesos) and a work-up that costs $17K each time. The day the insurance company received her diagnosis report, they gave her $20K for what, I don’t know (LOL).
Although her carcinoma is stage IV, it is the type commonly associated with Epstein-Barr virus and is highly responsive to chemo/immunotherapy. Her medical workup confirmed this, with a 5-year survival rate of 86%. After her third cycle of treatment, her metastatic cervical lymph nodes disappeared, and her Epstein-Barr virus load was reduced from high to none detected. Alhamdulillah!
When she first called me, she was inconsolable: “My son,”
she said, “is still young.”
I said, “Death is not in my prophetic dreams; you will be fine.”
GOD DOESN’T SET LIMITS.
Lessons I learned from all this: Cancer occurred in pairs in
the family. I lost 2 of my brothers to liver cancer. If one of your siblings
has or had cancer, consult a doctor to screen for any DNA markers you may
share.
My son is a nurse. I didn’t want him to be one, but I wanted nursing to be his pre-med. For some reason, he didn’t make it to the college of medicine. The salary for nurses is meager, so he instead worked as a call center agent. For 10 years, he enjoyed his work, but after the Pandemic, the demand for nurses became acute worldwide, and salaries rose to an acceptable level; he decided to answer his calling. He is an ER nurse (Medical Department) at Mandaluyong City Medical Center (MCMC).
“Is it possible, it’s not malignant?” I mumbled.
My son has a mysterious colon cancer. A series of tests and
2 CT scans were performed. His tumor marker test result is below 1, when the
high normal range is 4. Although 30% of malignancies have normal values of
tumor markers, 70% have high tumor markers that are also used to measure your
response to treatment. Of the many signs of Colon cancer, my son didn’t have
any except the pain. Doctors kept coming back asking Nader if he had this or
that, which he didn’t. Even the surgeon wondered why he couldn’t palpate any
tumor mass despite the finding of 90% blockage on colonoscopy, and why Nader had
no bowel movement problem at all.
A day before surgery, another CT scan with contrast was done,
and yes, the biopsy of the tissue from the colonoscopy also came.
My son has “Well Differentiated Adenocarcinoma.”
“God,” I said. “I am an old man. Please take me instead of
my son. If I am among the chosen ones, my mission is complete. The blessed ones
will find the message in the more than 700 blogs and seven (7) books I have
written.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROMB_McCT9s
Whatever the result of the specimen’s histo-pathology, the
future is bright. The type of cancer my son has is the lazy one. It is less
invasive, growing very slowly. You can have it for years without knowing.
I need to say “thank you, Mr. Salmonella.”
With a successful surgery, my son may not need follow-up
chemotherapy. It will all depend on what the Oncologist recommends.
https://beyond666-acson005.blogspot.com/2013/01/golden-boy-strange-story-of-my-son.html



No comments:
Post a Comment